Thursday 21 May 2015

NMQG May Challenge - My Migration to Modern

Latest news... I joined the Niagara Modern Quilt Guild (NMQG) and I am thrilled to be spending time with my fellow creative artists.

When I heard days before the meeting that there was a challenge block, something to test our new found modern superpowers, I had to try it out.  The topic was "bird on a branch".

This task taught me that my creative mind defaults to traditional more often than I may care to admit.  Not that there is anything wrong with that! I believe testing one's superpowers is the only way to make sure you know how to use them when called upon.

This is how it went down...

Started with what ended up being a totally traditional branch block...
note to self, just because you drafted it without a pattern does not make it modern
 !
 Drew a bird... maybe googled modern bird for inspiration, maybe not... decided on a colour...
closer to modern... fabric does not resemble feathers... 

unless you have plucked all the feathers and arranged them in circles...
 which is not a nice thing to do to a bird...

Had a wing, a bead for the eye and some legs set to go but they were too safe...
I had to go out on a limb...

Scratched the yellow beak...changed it to blue...
was trying for a offset block but the habit of putting things in the middle is so central a habit... 

Quilted carefully on my longarm...
chose a more modern design and swirled the raw edges of the bird to stop it from flying away...

Done... pretty decent attempt but I have far to go before I rest...
I am reassured that I have others in my flock to help me on my migration to modern.



1 comment: