Monday 8 June 2015

NMQG June Challenge... Starry Night... Vincent and me


My Starry Night - Tania Denyer 2015


Image result for van gogh starry night
Starry Night - Vincent Van Gogh 1888

The NMQG challenge for June was Starry Night.  The moment I heard the words I thought of Vincent Van Gogh and driving home from the meeting his images were painted in my mind.  I thought it would be too easy and I did not want to do what I thought everyone else was doing. I searched as many starry night images as I could but as you will see in the pictures below, it was all in vain.  Vincent had taken over and there was nothing I could do about it.

Looking at the finished piece now, it looks like I had the original beside me the entire time.  I didn't, but clearly my brain had taken it all in.
I had several blue squares already cut from another project... who knows when


I sewed them in rows... pretty much spontaneously

And then cut them all up again


And sewed them together once more... don't bother asking, if you don't quilt, you don't get it

Cut free form leaves from the black fabrics

Round stars... like itty bitty suns, which really is what they are

Something like this... I was ready to applique and quilt on my longarm

OK so the plan was to start quilting, stop take a few pics, and finish...
but once I started, well you have heard it here before

I wrote Starry Night in quilting at the bottom... the binding cut it off but no matter, this is play after all...
see if you can find the 2015

Funny how an artist living in the late 19th century in southern France saw in his night sky what I see when I look up through the trees at the stars on a northern Ontario summer night, over a hundred years and more later.  Pretty cool, wouldn't you say?


Starry Night Over The Rhone - Van Gogh 1888

As for how modern this piece is... I am undecided but will appreciate the thoughts of my NMQG friends on this.

4 comments:

  1. First of all that is just Awesome!! Thanks for walking through the steps you took to create this masterpiece. I struggle with the beginning steps and your post helps sort out the stages of the process. As for modern ? I think you are right on the mark. Strong colours, negative space, non-traditional grid and so on.. Now driving and imagining is that distracted driving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very beautiful! I actually have tears in my eyes. Starry Night is one of my favourite pieces for a million sappy and sentimental reasons and your interpretation of it is breath-taking. Well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that it connected with you :) Thanks as always for your kind words and endless encouragement!

      Delete