Tuesday 16 June 2015

Evolution of a Machine Quilting Pattern

I have set myself a challenge... again. I am creating a custom long arm pattern for Jessie's Afghan and below are the steps in my process.

[Jessie was my grandmother... see this post for more http://ittilybits.blogspot.ca/2015/03/jessies-afghan-update-what-can-i-say-i.html]

The only option was roses, not simply because the backing had roses but because Jessie adored her them, the peace rose being her absolute favourite.  I learned a lot on those Toronto summer afternoons, listening to her talk as she dressed the soil around her roses with bone meal.  Honestly I could not have been very old and probably not terribly interested but I remember all the same. Her love of roses passed to my Dad and now to me.

It is going to be some work but I am certain it will be fabulous.

Sketching simple rose patterns until one worked

Tried at first to overlap the roses,
then put some space between them
and added straight line quilting to offset the softer lines

Placed roses even further apart...
my arm muscles trembling at this point as I was tracing each rose from the window where I had taped the original single rose pattern...
could be I need to invest in a light box


I love it and I can't wait to see what it looks like in thread

Here is a taster of the top and the backing together...

2 comments:

  1. VERY clever how you made that design the background for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I try :P I am a doodler by nature which makes the pattern creation process easier.

      Delete