Monday 9 March 2015

Jessie's Afghan

One project I have been mulling over for some time involves one of my Grandma Jessie's crocheted afghans. From what I know my Grandma was a creative woman who had little time to indulge in her endless ideas. She cooked, baked, gardened, crocheted, rescued furniture for refinishing, read, wrote and kept a list of her favourite quotes!  How silly of me to think I was the first and only woman in my family to follow these paths.

One part of Jessie's creativity extended to colouring with crayons and pencils to come up with combinations for her afghans.  I believe this afghan was one such project... brown, coral, green, aqua, lavender and yellow.  As long as it has been draped over a chair in my studio it has looked like a quilt waiting to happen !



It was a plan that was just that, a plan and so it waited...

Until the day I visited the Quilted Cardinal in Beamsville - www.thequiltedcardinal.ca

They have a lovely selection of solids and as I had brought my Grandma's afghan with me.  I was able to match the colours nearly perfectly.  Quite an accomplishment seeing as the colours my Grandma chose were probably from the 60s or 70s.


My next step... break out the crayons and pencils and start drafting the pattern :) Jessie style !

And because I have a passion for history along with quilting, here are two photos of my Grandma, Jessie Hay, with my Grandpa, Jim Denyer.




If I am learning anything about my Grandma it may be this...

 from generation to generation...my mom believed in me and I believe in my children. That belief is a greater gift than any talent I might have inherited



No comments:

Post a Comment