Monday 23 March 2015

Behold the Pomegranate



Some days when nothing else will calm my anxious mind, I know what I have to do... create something.

I have always loved pomegranates, the taste, the shape, the colour.  When travelling in Spain I visited Granada and they were everywhere, decorating every possible surface...



My only regret is that I did not purchase a small silver pomegranate pendant with red stone seeds at the Alhambra. One day I will go again :)

To construct this piece, I sewed strips of red together (like with the tomato), cut the shape free hand, decided on a fabric for the opening, cut 12 seeds and 12 bits of batting and several bias strips to finish edges. As I quilted I decided these bias strips were too fussy and small to properly outline the fruit, and my fingers were at risk trying to hold the bias in place so they went to decorate elsewhere.




The piece was appliqued on the long arm using the quilting to hold everything in place.  It was a interesting experience.  I will definitely do it again.

Here are some details...

There are tiny circles of batting under the seeds to make them pop up a bit...

I used Superior Threads for the quilting... 
variegated Fantastico and So Fine #30 for the dark purple blue stitching - worked like a charm !
http://cottonmillthreadworks.danemcoweb.com/

My pomegranate is to remind me of abundance and wealth.  Time was I viewed finances as a source of unending struggle and perpetual hardship.  However from the moment I started to create this, I had decided my lack state of mind was not serving me anymore and I was so very tired of it.

To abundance !  In all the forms it visits us...



1 comment:

  1. Hi Tania- it's Johanna, we met at Anita's! Ive lost your contact info- could you shoot me an email so we can chat? It's johannamasko@gmail.com Thanks, and lovely work! 😄

    ReplyDelete