Saturday 24 January 2015

"...it sings because it has a song." - Maya Angelou


During the summer I bought some gorgeous fabrics from Hyggeligt Fabrics (London, Ontario). Bright pink and orange and green, flowers, vegetable leaves and polka dots by Kaffe Fassett and other Rowan fabric artists.  They were magically delicious!

I was not sure what to do with them but I had to do something, they were calling and calling me, like birds as it turns out.

I needed to quiet the voices in my head, I thought of using my own quilt design, Sliding Doors, and it looks like this.  It was a great way to use the fabrics while testing out my written design.



As I worked on the blocks I was not convinced I had it right, not the pattern but the colours. This was probably because this colour scheme was so far from the original.  But as I do, I kept going, not giving up.

I finished the top in a few weeks and put it away.  I was not entirely enthusiastic with the result.

That was until I took it over to my sister's.  When she opened the door she looked at the folded top in my arms and said I assume that is for me.  She does have quite a number of my quilts.  As I opened the quilt top, my littlest niece Lola, reached out her hands for it.  If anything was going to ensure this quilt was hers, that was it. Granted my sister's decor is a lot of black and white and grey and maybe Lola was thirsty for some colour, but it does not matter.  What Lola wants, Lola gets.

Next was the step of deciding on the quilting.  I did not want to quilt it with the word quilting as on my original Sliding Doors.

I waited patiently for inspiration to strike and it did with the magical combination of Lola and IKEA.  While following Lola around IKEA on her triumphant march through the merchandise (she has just learned to walk with some confidence), I saw a pattern of birds perched on lines. Hmm.

It stuck in my head.  Later as I sat in the car with Lola, waiting for my sister to pick up faucets for her new bathroom at Rona, I drew this.


Then when I got home I drew this.



Then I started quilting...


The back of the quilt is white seersucker and yellow gingham.




"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."  Maya Angelou


A Lola doesn't walk because she knows where she is going, a Lola walks for the pleasure of it. Couldn't we all learn from that?


p.s. This is Lola, she sent me a message... she wants her quilt !


1 comment: