Friday 11 July 2014

Lola Soapy Soap is One !



This is the quilt I finished for my newest niece Lola, or Soapy Soap as she is more commonly known.  Lola was born nearly one year ago on July 19 during a dreadful thunderstorm which included power outages at the hospital.  The storm foretold of Lola's dramatic nature, only beginning to be revealed.

Recently while out at a quilt shop, Greenwood Quiltery in Guelph, I found an adorable panel that featured many world cities, Cairo, Mexico City, Nairobi to name but a few.  Usually I am not one for panels however I have seen what some of my quilt clients can do with them and I thought I should stop being such a panel snob and give it a go.

I started by cutting out the city patches (of which one is Rio de Janeiro - timely given the World Cup) and then added the blue and purple fabric borders.  At this point the process stalled.  Putting them all together without something in between was just too much, even for me.  I was also determined to use a scrap of cabbage floral (Kaffe Fassett I think).  It is the leftover piece from a quilt I made for Ava (Lola's oldest sister).  Eventually after some auditioning I decided to use the white and the green and found a way to add the lovely cabbage floral :)

The purple square on the lower right was required because the city squares numbered 15.  This is a difficult number when trying to plan a square quilt.  The purple is not properly positioned, but once I had it sewn up I decided it was fine.  I am not someone compelled to be perfect.  One can go mad doing that and it takes all the fun out of the process.  The point of the quilt is to keep my niece happy and warm.

Happy First Birthday Soapy Soap :)


No comments:

Post a Comment